Everyone in this house loves cornbread! Hence this Honey Butter Cornbread recipe. When I make collard greens or black eyed peas it isn’t a meal unless cornbread comes to the party. Lately, I have been obsessed with organic corn since the majority of corn produced in the states is GMO. One of my goals is to make homemade tortillas so I have been on the lookout for organic corn products.
I happened to find some organic corn meal at the farmers’ market, so I thought how tasty it would be to make cornbread from scratch. I am not even going to lie, we were a Jiffy family. We like our cornbread sweet so I usually will add a squeeze of honey and butter to the Jiffy box mix to improve the flavor. After, making this recipe and realizing how easy it was, homemade cornbread will be in our rotation for sure! Most of the time cornbread is sweetened with sugar, but I love the floral, lightly sweet, flavor honey adds. I also add butter because, I don’t know, I just love butter. Maybe also, because it gives it richness.
- 1½ cups of cornmeal
- ½ cup of flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup honey
- 5 tbsp butter, melted (cooled), separated
- Preheat your oven to 425. Place a 10" cast iron pan in the oven to heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, honey and 4 tbsp of butter).
- Stir the wet in to the dry ingredients until just combined.Pull the cast iron out of the oven and add the last tbsp of butter to the pan. Pour the cornbread mixture into the pan, it should sizzle. Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- *Baking in a cast iron pan and preheating the pan ensure a crust on the corn bread. If you do not have a cast iron pan then use a round cake pan and skip the preheating step.