We are being really good for the next three weeks. By good I mean not eating or drinking some amazing things, like cheese, wheat, fatty foods, beer etc. When we are being good, our meals consist of the same boring foods, that make you want to eat a juicy cheeseburger afterwards because you feel so deprived. I am trying to change that this time around and get out of our rut! My goal is to create some healthy meals with a lot of flavor so that I can eat and not feel depressed about it. Cue… Salmon with Slaw and Cilantro Tahini Dressing!
The star of this recipe is the Cilantro Tahini dressing. So much the star that you can swap out salmon for another protein and the slaw for other veggies, just keep the dressing. This dish is very versatile, which I love. Adding Tahini to the dressing gives it a creamy rich texture and taste! This is helpful when you are cutting out dairy and don’t want to have the standard oil and vinegar combo. Cilantro is another great flavor booster to this salad. I was channeling a green goddess dressing when I was making it, but I wanted a more exciting spin, which the addition of cilantro, lime and Serrano add. Yum!
- 1 pound salmon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 half of Serrano pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lime juice, about 2 limes
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1½ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced cabbage, about ½ of a medium sized head
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 avocados, sliced
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- brown rice for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a foil lined baking sheet, coat salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool. Flake the salmon, or leave whole if desired.
- In a food processor or blender, combine cilantro, Serrano, green onions, garlic, tahini, lime juice, water, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Toss the cabbage and carrots with ⅓ cup of the dressing.
- In 4 bowls, add desired amount of brown rice, a ¼ of the salmon and slaw to each bowl. Top with avocados and cucumbers. Drizzle with more dressing. Serve.
More salad recipes here!