Every now and then you need to pull out a quick and easy recipe from your arsenal. This Curry Cabbage and Kielbasa is in ours, and we probably pull it out at least once a month. I actually have my mom to thank for it. Growing up she always made cabbage and kielbasa and along the way she started adding curry to it. Which, I immediately balked at the first time she did. Curry with cabbage and sausage? “There is no way that is going to work”, I said. Um…I couldn’t have been more wrong!
Ever hear of Currywurst??? In Germany, currywurst is a fast food dish that consist of sliced fried pork sausages and topped with curry ketchup. Now, I have never had it before, but I am using that as support for my argument that curry and sausage belong together. You already know that cabbage and sausage go together. The curry adds some much needed flavor and brightness to the cabbage and sausage. It gives this quick weeknight meal some pizzazz! This recipe is maximum flavor, but with minimal effort!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced on a bias
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp curry powder (hot or mild your choice)
- 1 medium head of cabbage (about 2⅓ pounds), chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- hot rice (brown or white), for serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Add the sausages in an even layer and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes total, flipping about half way through.
- Add the curry and onion, sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.Turn heat up to high and add the cabbage and salt.
- Stir until all ingredients are very well combined. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Serve on top of a bed of rice.