We love banana bread in our house, but I have to admit most recipes are too sweet for me. Like eating a slice of cake first thing in the morning. More of a dessert than a bread. I wanted to change that and make it slightly more healthy and not so sweet. This Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Toasted Coconut, is one that I can feel good about it, and it is still delicious.
Oh, and don’t misunderstand this is not a super healthy banana bread recipe, there is still sugar, just less of it. The addition of whole wheat gives it a nutty flavor, and helps to round out the sweetness. If you are a coconut hater leave it out or swap it for chocolate chips (if you do like it sweet and decadent). Slather some softened butter (our cultured butter) on a slice and enjoy with a strong cup of coffee. To me that is what banana bread for breakfast should be.
- ¾ cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas slightly mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place the coconut on an sheet pan in an even layer. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the coconut starts to brown. Allow to cool on the sheet pan. Leave the oven on.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, and coconut. Mix until well combined.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, and salt. Add to the banana mixture. Add vanilla.
- Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes.