This unfortunately is our last tomato post of the Summer. I am so sad that summer is almost over and with it goes all those beautiful tomatoes. I know when you hear BLT, you think its all about the bacon. This BLT Salad with Green Goddess Dressing is all about the tomato! The bacon and dressing are just the flavor enhancers. Green Goddess dressing is always a winner with tomatoes and the addition of bacon takes it up another notch.
Green Goddess dressing is probably the best homemade dressing I have ever made. I definitely think the basil and scallions are what gives it so much flavor and the anchovy paste gives it depth. I feel like a broken record when I say this, but you want to use the best tomatoes you can find here, preferably local and heirloom. This salad makes a great dinner for two or a first course salad for four.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus additional
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5 ounce container of butter or bibb lettuce, chopped
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 slices of cooked crispy bacon, chopped
- chopped chives, optional
- In a food processor or blender, add the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper. Puree or blend until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until just combined. If not using the dressing right away, store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Arrange the lettuce, and tomatoes on plates or a platter. Drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with bacon, chives and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.
If you like this recipe and want more like it Click here!