Grated carrot salad is a very traditional French dish. I am surprised that it isn’t a staple here in the states. It is super easy to make, cheap and healthy. This also makes a great side dish for potlucks because it can be served at room temperature. We love this salad during the warmer weather, it goes great with any grilled meat, because it’s crunchy and refreshing. Did I mention this salad is super inexpensive to make? Now that I have told you a million reasons why you should make this salad now, let me tell you the spin I put on this Grated Carrot Salad with Pumpkin Seeds.
This recipe is adapted from the David Lebovitz “My Paris Kitchen” cookbook and I do like his recipe, but I made some tweaks to fit our taste. I am a texture person so I added roasted pumpkin seeds for a nice crunch. I also used white wine vinegar because of the tart flavor it adds when paired with the sweet carrots. The pumpkin seeds are optional, but one thing that is a must in this salad, are the herbs. The mix of herbs give it a wonderful flavor. There are a nice amount of chives in this recipe because I love the subtle onion flavor they provide.
Interested in our other recipes with pumpkin seeds click here
- 2 lbs carrots, grated
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp, chopped chives
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, add the carrots, parsley, dill, chives and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add the dressing to the carrots and toss well to combine. Serve.