This Lemon Caper Chicken is a dinner favorite in our house. Mostly because it’s easy and ready in 30 minutes, but also because it’s so good! The combination of lemon and capers with chicken is a classic, but adding sliced shallots adds even more flavor.
Then I have the time, the night before, I put everything in a freezer bag to marinate and then I can throw everything on a sheet pan and straight into the oven the following evening. If you have a Trader Joe’s close to you, I highly recommend purchasing the capers there. I have found that they are the cheapest there. I use boneless skinless chicken thighs here. They cook very quickly and they are still juicy and tender even if you cook them a little too long.
- ⅓ cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 2½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the capers and shallots.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Place the chicken and marinade on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread everything evenly across the sheet pan. I like to take some of the shallots and capers and place them on top of the chicken. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is browned, crisp around the edges, and is cooked through.
- *Pro tip- Make the marinade the night before and throw the raw chicken and marinade in a gallon freezer bag and place in the fridge. The following day when ready to cook, pull the chicken out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking (this will help the chicken cook more evenly). Cook as directed.
More great meat recipes here!