Summer is almost over, but until it is we are eating all the tomatoes we can get our hands on. The Tuscans were smart and created this panzanella salad, using stale bread and juicy tomatoes. It’s the perfect summer recipe, and I love that you can put a fried egg on top and call it dinner! This Panzanella Salad is a slight twist on the classic.
Our Panzanella salad uses parsley instead of the traditional basil. Also, capers and anchovies for briny depth of flavor. If you have issues with anchovies leave them out, but I love the salinity they add. Like any recipes involving tomatoes, you want to use the best you can find, preferably local and heirloom.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 anchovies fillets, minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2½ cups cubed stale bread (roughly ½ a baguette)
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and anchovies. Add the capers.
- In a large bowl, add the bread, tomatoes, dressing and parsley. Toss well, but gently to combine. Serve.